Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 63. Effect of the drought.

On my drive home from work about a month ago, I saw this small patch of unharvested corn.  During harvest I remember all of the talk centering on the poor quality of corn this season due to the drought that effected about 90% of the county's corn and soybean regions, and the low yields farmers would be seeing as a result.  My understanding was that low yields would lead to some corn not being harvested, having something to do with crop insurance and decisions made by insurance adjustors.  However, for months of looking now, this is the only corn I was able to find.

It's a little sad.  And it reminds me of what a tough year our farmers had.  Here's hoping for a better season in 2013!

 

 
 
See on,
Julee

No comments:

Post a Comment